How to Request Permission to Publish
Individuals desiring to publish reproductions or representations of items from the University Archives and Special Collections must apply for permission using the Permission to Publish form. The Archives may approve use for those collections for which:
- The copyright holder is Kennesaw State University or Southern Polytechnic State University
- The copyright holder has granted permission to the University Archives and Special Collections through a formal deed, form, or statement
The Archives may not grant permission for collections for which the copyright status is uncertain or for items that are still under copyright protection. Archivists will review each publication request on a case-by-case basis.
Conditions for Use
In order to publish items from the University Archives and Special Collections, users must agree to the following conditions:
- Permission for reproduction is granted only for the expressed purpose described in the Permission to Publish form.
- Permission is for one-time use only, for the life of the project. Any subsequent use constitutes reuse and a new application must be submitted to the Archives.
- Permission is granted only for the applicant's final product and is non-transferable, except when noted on the Permission to Publish form.
- Materials to be published must be obtained directly from the University Archives and Special Collections.
- The University Archives and Special Collections reserves the right to refuse reproduction
of items if it believes any of the following are true:
- Reproduction would be in violation of copyright or other laws.
- Reproduction would violate the policies and/or procedures of the University.
- An individual depicted in a reproduction has privacy rights. Kennesaw State University reserves the right to require releases from individuals whose privacy may be violated by reproduction of an image.
- Images must be reproduced without alteration. Requests to alter images, including cropping, bleeding, overlapping, detail only, digital enhancement, etc. must be approved and so indicated on the Permission to Publish form.
- All images used in publication/display must use the credit line, "Permission of Kennesaw State University Department of Museums, Archives & Rare Books."
- One complimentary copy of each publication in which an image is requested for retention in the Archives.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to determine copyright and to obtain permission from the current copyright holder. The University Archives and Special Collections assumes no responsibility for any royalties or fees claimed by the artists or creator, or on the artist's or creator's behalf. The applicant agrees to full responsibility for the use of materials obtained from the University Archives and Special Collections and to hold harmless the University and its agents against any and all damages and claims arising or resulting from the use of the images.